Friday, April 9, 2010

Reflection on Oral Presentation

For this presentation, I felt that I was relatively more confident. We had a number of practices before, and this helped me to be more familiar with the content, and consequently, I was less nervous during the presentation itself. I also realised that the more nervous I am, the faster I tend to talk and the more likely I am to fumble over my words. Thus, I was glad that this time around, I felt that I stumbled less often than usual and was relatively more fluent than my usual self. In terms of articulation and projection, I thought that I was relatively fine as well. I felt that the slides were also visually appealing and helped especially in the comparison that I was trying to make, without being a distraction from the presentation.

However, I realised that I gestured excessively to the laptop screen in front of me, instead of at the projection that everyone was looking at. Towards the end of my presentation, I became more aware of this and tried to change accordingly. Also, I probably could have more eye contact with the audience, instead of looking at the screen in front of me. In terms of engaging the audience, I felt that I could probably be more interactive instead of focusing only on presenting my part well. I could also probably have been assertive in developing the argument and highlighting the problem.

In terms of the overall presentation, what I would especially liked to highlight were our slides and video. I thought that the slides looked professional, and this was actually my first presentation in which the slides were not made in the 'conventional' manner, filled with bullets and titles. It did seem to help make the presentation more professional. The videos that Jon made were also very useful in this aspect. I felt that as a group, our presentation flowed naturally and convincingly, where everyone's presentation and argument fitted nicely into the big picture. I hope that came across to the audience as well.

I will very much like to know what the audience thought about our presentation. Please feel free to post your comments, and thank you very much in advance.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ronnie,

    you have definitely come a long way since the last time I saw you present during peer teaching. You sounded very natural, very focused and confident. Your articulation and voice projection was good and I believe I could not hear you properly previously and this time I understood every word.

    I noticed that you kept looking down at the screen (which you made note of in your reflection) and at that point I started to disconnect with your speech. In fact I almost thought you were reading from something because your eyes were down for quite a bit. So my focus got away at that point.

    Your slides were definitely well done. Very professional yet pleasant to look at. Your team has a very fine sense for creating aesthetically appealing presentations. Good work and it was a treat for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete