Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Final Reflection

I can still remember how apprehensive I was initially about taking this course. The heavy workload described by previous students was a main worry. Now, at the end of it, I am glad that we had taken up the challenge.

Most of us would probably have been exposed to the main principles of effective communication in the past. In this sense, what we have learnt in this class were not novel or unique ideas. However, what distinguishes this class from others in NUS is probably the opportunities that we had to practise these skills. Through this practices, I could feel myself gradually gaining confidence as well. For example, I have always wanted to be better at presenting. I would look at how some of my friends are so engaging and interesting, and wished I could be like them. After this course, however, I started to believe that with confidence, I am better than what I perceived myself to be. Even though I still hate presenting as much as I do before. Nevertheless, this is probably the most valuable aspect that I am able to take away from this course - the knowledge that I can be an effective communicator if I set my heart to it.

The job hunting aspect of the course was also extremely practical, especially for graduating students. I picked up an extremely useful tip in the process, that is, to be aware of what qualities and skills the employer is looking for. This applies to writing resumes, application letters and job interviews. I realised that I used to be too concerned about my own attributes, and failed to paint how I could be a good fit for the positions that I applied for in the past. Now, I cannot believe how I had overlooked something as fundamental as this. Hopefully, with this new insight, I will have more successes in the future!

Lastly, I would like to thank Brad for making the lessons far more interesting than most other NUS courses as well as his useful feedback for all our work. Also, to everyone in group 7, as helpful and friendly as can be!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ron,

    I like your point about the most valuable take-away from this module and I can't help but to agree with you. It really requires some effort for one to communicate effectively.

    I also think that you have hit the nail on the head when you mentioned about how ES2007S is so relevant for job hunting. In fact, I think this is the best "career-thinking" module in NUS as it really equips one with the essential skills for a career after NUS.

    I never regretted taking this module with you man although we were all confused about this choice initially.

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ronnie, for this comprehensive reflective post and for all your hard work during the term. I am especially glad you valued the practice of the comm skills we discussed.

    We all also benefitted by hearing your perspective on the various content topics, and you contributed very well to your research team's fine work and to the discussions in general.

    All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete