Sunday, February 7, 2010

Application Letter - First Draft

February 7, 2010

Ms. Esther Tan
Director, Human Resource
Singapore General Hospital Human Resource Division

Dear Ms. Tan,

I am a National University of Singapore (NUS) student majoring in Bioengineering, and I am applying to join the Hospital Executive Programme. I believe that my critical thinking skills, communication and leadership capabilities will allow me to benefit greatly from this programme and contribute towards the hospital’s vision of becoming an internationally acclaimed hospital.

I believe that my critical thinking and reasoning skills will put me in good stead to overcome challenges in the hospital. My coursework in the engineering faculty in NUS has emphasized problem solving and creative thinking. Furthermore, the diverse curriculum has exposed me to various fields such as the life sciences, engineering, human resource and language studies. I have consistently performed well in these wide-ranging courses. The faculty has also awarded me the Dean’s list award on two occasions, and I am on track to graduate with a first class honours. I believe that my training in university has taught me to adopt an interdisciplinary mindset in handling problems. It has also equipped me with the skills to learn quickly and actively, which I believe will be essential in picking up the various aspects of hospital management in the programme.

On top of my academic achievements, I have also had exposure to various leadership positions. I was elected into the student committee that represented the undergraduate bioengineering students. I planned student events, promoted interaction between students and faculty as well as introduced prospective undergraduates to Bioengineering in NUS. I also led a team in designing a new ankle prosthesis for a design project. This involved facilitating brainstorming sessions, overseeing the various roles played by each member, as well as planning timeline and goals. I also had to learn to work, lead and motivate effectively while under the pressure of tight deadlines. My efforts in leading my team were recognized when I was awarded the top grade for our project. I also had the chance to interact with students from many different countries when I spent a semester in the University of Connecticut in the first half of 2009. The graduate classes that I took while overseas encouraged discussion of ideas, and this experience helped me to improve my communication skills and increased my cultural awareness. The skills that I have acquired will help me to better manage projects in the role of an executive in the future.

A career in SGH will help me to fulfill my career aspirations to improve the well-being of individuals. The many issues that arise in hospital management will also be part of an exciting and rewarding career that I look forward to. Thank you very much for considering my application, and I look forward to speaking to you in the future.

Yours Sincerely,


Wong Fatt Weng Ronnie
Tel: XXXXXXX
Email: fattweng@yahoo.com.sg

4 comments:

  1. Hi ronnie

    I think your application letter is very well written.

    The way you state your experience, the skills you have learnt from it and how it ties back to the requirements of the job is good.

    Maybe you could have elaborated more on your experience in the University of Connecticut.

    However, I think the line in the first para where you mentioned how you will benefit from the job as well as how you can contribute to it is a good point for all of us to take away.

    Thanks ronnie.

    Cheers,
    Divya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ronnie,

    Here are some suggestions after going through your letter.

    1) The word ‘awarded’ could be changed to ‘presented’ as repeating the word ‘award’ twice in a sentence does not sound good in my opinion. Alternatively, you could rephrase the sentence to ‘I obtained….’

    2) Consider writing your SEP experience in a different paragraph as it is not part of your leadership experience. Moreover, this will also give emphasis on your overseas experience.

    3) Also consider inserting more achievements/experiences/activities as I think you are elaborating a lot on single experiences/achievements.

    Overall I think your letter is very well written. The closing statement is particularly catchy. You also did a very good job emphasizing your academic achievement. In addition, your mention of the hospital’s vision is very apt.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ronnie,

    Just one suggestion for your last paragraph:

    You wrote "A career in SGH will help me to fulfill my career aspirations to improve the well-being of individuals." Maybe you can consider changing "career aspirations" to "professional aspirations" since you've already used the word "career" at the start of your sentence.

    As mentioned by Jonathan, writing about your SEP experience in a separate paragraph may help too.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ronnie,

    I think your application letter is well-written. It shows cohesion and is clear.
    Just some minor suggestions, your 2nd paragraph appears to be a little lengthy and at a glance, could be hard to digest. I agree that your experience overseas could be separated as a paragraph itself. From what you described, this is what I understand, the 1st part of your 2nd paragraph wanted to show that you possess the leadership qualities that a role of an executive should have..so your ending statement of that paragraph ties up to this point…

    Your overseas experience in the University of Connecticut has not only increased your cultural awareness but also developed in you the communication skills needed. (so the main quality is the communication skills?) thus, this should go as a separate paragraph. Then, you could relate to how you understand that position also requires this skill.

    Last, I think you closing is pretty good. You imply that your career aspirations are in line with what is their goal as well.

    ReplyDelete